VMU offers a number of distinct advantages to its young and promising doctoral students. Ph.D. studies at the university open up unique possibilities for academic research and studies, preparing future generations of highly qualified specialists.
The strength of VMU is our ability to engage young researchers in various scientific activities, creating favourable conditions for them not only to advance their theoretical and methodological knowledge in a particular field of science, but also to conduct scientific research of global significance, participate in international projects and traineeships, give lectures and conduct seminars in Lithuania and abroad.
Fields of studies
Vytautas Magnus University currently offers doctoral studies: Biophysics, Biology, Ecology and Environmental Science
Two types of doctoral studies are available at VMU, differing in duration and intensity: full-time (4 years) and part-time (6 years).
Admission to doctoral studies is conducted on the basis of open competition, which takes place once a year, in September. The most important selection criteria are:
- Scientific publications that have been published or accepted to be published;
- Scientific research project which outlines the applicant’s plans for research during his/her studies (5-12 pages);
- Grade point average of the master’s diploma;
- Motivational interview, in which all applicants must participate (in person or online). Usually conducted in mid-September.
- Master’s degree diploma or equivalent qualification and its annex/supplement;
- Notarised translation of the master’s degree diploma and its supplement into the Lithuanian language;
- A document which recognizes the qualification acquired abroad issued by the Centre for Quality Assessment in
- Higher Education of Lithuania;
- 2 letters of recommendation;
- Scientific publications (if there are any) and their copies;
- Project of scientific research;
- Copy of ID document.
For more details see here.
- Admission rules are announced every year at the beginning of July;
- Submission and registration of documents are organized throughout summer;
- Motivational interview is conducted during first two weeks of September;
- Announcement of the list of invited candidates is made at the end of September;
- Beginning of the studies is 1st October.